Getting climate, energy & environment news right.

These startups are teaming up to decarbonize cement and concrete

Maria Gallucci of Canary Media reports on a group of start-ups that are teaming up to decarbonize cement and concrete.

The C3 Take
  • A consortium of cement and concrete companies have created the Decarbonized Cement and Concrete Alliance (DC2) to accelerate the use of low carbon building materials for infrastructure and construction projects.
  • Sublime Systems is a part of DC2 and uses an electrochemical process instead of kilns to create cement.
  • Another DC2 member is Fortera, which captures CO2 from existing cement facilities and uses it to make the mineral vaterite that can partially reduce the need for Portland cement in concrete.

“Producing cement and concrete contributes around 8 percent of human-caused carbon dioxide emissions every year. About 40 percent of those emissions comes from fiery cement kilns that can get hotter than molten lava. The other 60 percent is the result of a chemical process. When limestone is heated to make cement, it breaks down into its constituent parts of calcium oxide and CO2, releasing planet-warming gases into the atmosphere.”

Read the full article here.

The views and opinions expressed are those of the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of C3.

Copyright © 2020 Conservative Coalition for Climate Solutions

Subscribe to our exclusive email designed for conservatives who care about climate.

Help us promote free market solutions for climate change.

5 Incredible Ways Economic Freedom Helps the Planet.

Sign up for our newsletter now to get the full list right in your inbox.

Thank you for signing up

Help us promote sensible solutions for both planet and prosperity.

Download Now

The Left’s Top 10 Climate Denials

Download Now

nikola-majksner-hXNGeAFOgT4-unsplash